Friday, January 4, 2013

Welcome To The Land That Vintage Modern Forgot! I've Had A Hard Time Sussing Out The Bargains Amongst The Myriad Of Appropriately Priced Choices Before But Raleigh / Durham Really Suffers From A Dearth Of The Former! Looking For Some Cheap Style Here? Good Luck! Status: Not My Turf!

Greetings from Raleigh, N.C.

I've been scavenging various craigslists for years now and like to think I'm pretty good at finding the needles in those massive haystacks, and I do like a challenge...but this is the first major metropolitan area craigslist that has made me feel somewhat defeated.  I started looking a few days ago, found (barely) ten interesting ads but I'm not very satisfied with them.  Look inside...see what you think.


image0

School Student Chairs - $12 (Kinston).  I myself just picked up a set of 4 chairs just like these white and blue ones.  I've got them in my booth at The Green Shag Antique Market at this very minute!  I'd love to have a set in white.  $12 each is a bargain.  Plus it looks like there are lots of other types there as well.  Worth a look.

image0

Mid Century Danish Modern Teak Chairs - $300 (North Raleigh ). These might seem kinda pricey but that's 3 bills for 4 chairs. That's just $75 for each chair. Not a jaw dropping bargain but a good price none the less. Believe me...in Raleigh / Durham beggars can't be choosers.

image0

Desk-oak Must Sell ! - $99 (morrisville). This is by far the best item I could find and at an actual bargain price. If this desk is still available now it's a crying shame. I would had this in the back of Frank (the Focus wagon) within an hour of this ad going live!

image0

60's Danish Modern Table/Chairs - $100 (Youngsville). It looks like it needs some upholstery help but at least the price is right. It's not the most delicate or beautiful set but again...slim pickins on this craigslist. The captains chair is missing one of it's arms. How does that happen?

image0

Two Matching lamps - $20 (RTP/Cary). I know the photo only shows one but the ad says two. They look good and they are a matched pair. That's a hard combination to find...especially at $20.

image0

Modern coffee table - $70 (Durham). Not vintage but still pretty cool. The nice thick glass top speaks to the quality I think. Kinda reminds me of Vladimir Kagan designs.

image0

Contemporary Carmel Leather Lounge Chair - $300 (Cary, NC). Again, not vintage but looks like it would easily fit with a '60s or '70s Mod decor. Plus...it's just so cool! Kinda pricey but it's leather, right? I love it!

image0

Large Vintage Metallic Mushroom Lamp - $75 (SW Durham). This would look so good next to the big round saucer chair above it! $75 is cheap when you compare how much this lamp would cost you in a shop on either coast...or even in Chicago. Looks like it's in good shape too.

image0

Kitchen table and 4 chairs - $120 (Cary). Ad says: "this is a good bargain" and I tend to agree. It may not be a drop dead gorgeous Danish Modern dining set but it's not hard on the eyes and the table is nice. Maybe pair it up with the chairs near the top of this post and sell these!

image0

SOFA and 4 CHAIRS - $270 (Knightdale). First, the sofa alone is just $150 and second the chairs aren't anything to write home about. Yup, it's vinyl. Looks like it has a "bed" tucked inside too.  Is it the prettiest thing in the world?  No.  But it's got a certain retro style and it won't cost you an arm and a leg...just your back when you move it.  Wear a back brace!

8 comments:

  1. I'm the one who had suggested Raleigh-Durham, so thanks for taking the time to check us out. I'm still trying to decide if it is better knowing you had the same troubles I have had (thereby hopefully implying I wasn't going about things all wrong), or if I'd rather you found a bunch of bargains as you normally do (which would have made me look a fool....but a fool that could then adjust his tactics). Oh well, the searches will continue, and the bargains, though few and far between, will just be more rewarding.

    Truly enjoy following your blog. Thanks for sharing with us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brad.

      Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. It truly was like pulling teeth! Hopefully it was just because of the holidays. Things thinned out around here the last couple days too. I'll give it another try sometime and see what turns up.

      Delete
    2. So admittedly, I had missed the desk. Really figured I'd be too late when I saw this. And, truth be told, I wasn't the first, or second, or even 20th person to write. Lady admitted that she had so many emails about it that she decided today (what, 3 days after posting it?) to just randomly pick one and respond. Guess I can't say I never win anything now! :)

      Turned out to be a Mainline by Hooker......she hadn't posted a picture of it, but nice big stamp inside one drawer.

      As for those industrial chairs, I'll agree the $12 is a good price but his location is a haul from here.....would be like driving to Springfield, IL for you. Luckily, I've got a closer place I can score them for $8 or $10 pretty regularly.

      Delete
  2. A set of four or six of the industrial chairs would be good and the desk would be a must have. But the rest...meh.. Slim pickings indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. can you do a Phoenix CL search? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about a Springfield, MO search as well? It seems like we should have a lot more vintage modern here than we do. Or at least I can't find it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up a "sturdy, metal desk chair" for $15 off the Spfld.,Mo CL last week.it was an Eames DCM.

      Delete
  5. I have to say I'm not surprised. Mr. G and I have a trip to Fayetteville area next week. Not a single mom and pop place for lodging and dining is looking dismal also. I had hoped to squeeze in a treasure hunt but not sure I will bother.
    Diane
    Honey Stop The Car @ Etsy.com

    ReplyDelete